Autism Speaks was created by Bob and Suzanne Wright in 2005 as an organization that advocates for Autism. Over the years Autism Speaks has created a severe amount of controversy around their practices and policies in regards to how they promote Autism to the general public.
So what exactly is wrong with Autism Speaks? Let’s take a look:
- They believe Autism to be a disease that is worse than cancer (proven in this video)
- That same video claims that Autism will make your marriage fail.
- Almost none of the money collected by Autism speaks goes to Autistic Research or the families that are in need of it.
- There is not a single Autistic member on the Executive Board
- Compares Autism to “Terror” and ‘Autism is stealing the lives of children”
- They use fear mongering in descriptions of Autism.
- Suzanne Wright has described Autism as an ‘unmitigated” terror.
- The organization is dominated by parents of Autistic children; rather than anyone with Autism themselves.
- They completely misunderstand Autism. And make no effort to improve their understanding.
- One of their board members created outrage for saying she wanted to ‘drive off a bridge” with her Autistic child.